The Jennings' Jabber...a few of our moments, at least...

Monday, January 11, 2010

Rice cereal

So I have a few complaints about rice cereal. First of all, I will say that I still do not feel 100% comfortable feeding it to my 3 month old in a bottle...but that is not something I have control over at this point. It is weight they want, so rice cereal we get! Calder seems to like it just fine, after my experimentation and mastery of thickness/consistency and the opening in the nipple! I think it makes him sleepy, but he needs rest to grow too, right?? Our weight check is on the 20th, so I'm hoping that this has made enough of a difference!

I guess my biggest complaint about rice cereal is how messy it is! It sticks to everything...wet or dry! Those little flakes are all over my counter, all the time. Then when you try to wipe them up with something damp or wet, they just smear sticky rice starch all over! Break out the dust-buster to clean this stuff up...gross. It's not quite as easy as powdered formula either, at least that can be shaken. WELL, technically I'm not shaking anything. Fun fact about breast milk is that it is not supposed to be shaken, so we "swirl"--A LOT. :) Needless to say, rice cereal does not swirl well either. Guess I'll be carrying another utensil with me in the diaper bag--something I can use to stir! Mixing is key, otherwise it is gloppy and has chunks!

None of it matters though, I'd do ANYTHING for my little man!


We'll keep you posted on weight. I'd hop on the scale to do a check here at home, but my battery died! So the 20th it is...this kid better be above the 3rd percentile!!

2 comments:

  1. Try the Beech Nut brand rice cereal instead of Gerber - it comes in a pour out container for one (which I found easier) and it mixes MUCH more smoothly in the breast milk (I pump as well!) than the Gerber brand. Plus, it's not flakes - it's more like powdered formula, so it is much easier to clean up a spill as well! Good Luck - I hope he gains for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kalissa,

    I read of the difficulties you are having with the rice cereal in the bottles and wonder if the Pediatrition suggested supplimenting Calders bottles with a mix of 1/2 Breast Milk to 1/2 Enhanced Weight Gain Formula (I know EWGF is not the techinal word for it...but I do know formula like that exists...).
    I really feel for you too! 3 months is so early to try formula from a bottle and it sure is messy. We started that at 4 months and it was difficult.
    Maybe Calder needs a cheering squad for eating...lets give it a try "Let's go Calder, Let's go!!" :)
    All my best.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete